Eventful Fishing Trip

Today my girlfriend took me fishing. We were fishing off the rocks at Killarney beach. Rhi was the first to catch a fish (it was a juvenile salmon). I had been getting a few nibbles for a while but I finally caught a fish and I was so excited.... but it was a pufferfish. We had a lot of trouble getting it to let go of the hook because it wouldn't stop biting down on it. I put it in the water while we got the pliers - but then it 'puffed up'.
Pufferfish all puffed up (still cute)
We finally got the hook out of it and it swam away... then not long later Rhi caught an even bigger pufferfish! We struggled to get the hook out of that one too - but when we set it free, it got washed into the rocks and then got stuck because it had puffed itself up and wedged itself there. I think I was trying to free it for about an hour, and the tide was going out. I was just determined to get it out. There was even a crab underneath it that was trying to poke at it. Then it finally started deflating a little bit - and it drifted out... but it was floating like a balloon. I picked it up and wrapped it in a wet towel and got waist-deep in the water to set it free, because otherwise it would just drift into the rocks again. It started moving its' tail - but it looked quite hilarious because it was still inflated like a balloon and was wiggling all over the place with its face poking out of the water. It finally deflated and started swimming normally - but then it turned around and swam right up to me as if it was thanking me... it was really cute. It swam around on the surface for a while before disappearing.

Another pufferfish that was stuck in the rock pools - I picked it up and set it free.
As a result of my rescue mission I ended up soaking wet so I wore a towel instead of pants.
Makeshift clothes rack - using a fishing net
We have never seen a pufferfish actually 'puff up' - so that was a first. We didn't actually catch any other fish for the rest of the day - but it was definitely worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

How many years has it been?!

Our Lovely Living Situation

My Life Update