We Had A Dog For A Day

Yesterday, Rhi and I slept in. We planned on going to uni to do some work on the computers there. Our plans changed when Rhi saw a dog standing at our door.

"Jess!!! There's a dog at the door!!!"

That was strange, I thought. Where could it possibly have come from?

It just started raining so I opened the door. It was taking shelter under the carport. It looked at me, then I called it over.

"Come on! Come here!"

He looked very excited. I let him smell my hand, because I've learnt that's what you're supposed to do when you meet a dog for the first time.

I searched for a phone number on his collar, but there was nothing. It started to hail, so I let him inside.

He was very excited, followed me everywhere around the house. He liked to jump up on me, it was quite cute. I just closed a few doors so that he wouldn't walk on the carpets.

Rhi and I didn't know what to do. There was a facebook group for lost and found pets, but you had to request permission to join and my request wasn't accepted in time.

I put down a bowl of water for him, but he didn't seem thirsty or hungry. Just very playful.

Rhi thought he must be a young dog to have so much energy.

We were both still in our pyjamas, so we had to get dressed and ready. Rhi went first. As soon as she closed the door, the dog started whining. He didn't like it when Rhi closed the door and he couldn't see Rhi anymore.

Then it was my turn. I closed the door, and the same thing happened! Apparently he was whining a lot because he could see my shadow. I came out, "It's okay! I'm still here!"

He seemed like a very loyal dog. He calmed down a bit when I sat down to eat breakfast. He made himself comfortable on the mat at the door.

We left the door open for him so he could leave if he wanted to. Good thing we did because he had to use our lawn to do his business.



When we were ready, we decided to go for a walk with him to knock on some doors around the area. We were slightly concerned about not having a lead for him, but he seemed to stick with us for the most part.

We walked around the neighbourhood, mind you this is no suburban neighbourhood. Some of the driveways we walked down were quite long.

Someone suggested that he might have run away because of the storm the night before.

We came across a family with a few children on our walk. He really liked them, he almost walked away with them after we stopped to talk to them! He just wanted to play. Definitely a young dog.

One of our lovely neighbours found a rope for us to use as a lead.

We decided to stop at a couple of more houses, then we thought we'd have to give up and go back.

That's when we saw him. The owner. He was driving by and he was particularly interested in the dog. We thought, thank goodness! It had been hours.

He parked on the side of the road and came out of his car. He was wearing gumboots, so he must have come from a farm house. He was very happy to see his Woofer again.

He told us that the dogs father was back home. He also told us that they had to spend $2000 on the dogs leg because it broke when he was a pup! We were just glad that he found us.

The dog had ran away during the night, and they noticed at 6 in the morning. He had run a long way, that's for sure! For some reason, he ended up at our front door.

The dog was very happy to see his owner, too. He was cuddling up to his leg.

They got in the ute, gave us a wave and a toot, and off they went.

I'm telling you now, I was exhausted by then! That dog had lots more energy than I did, that's for sure.

We had a dog for a day.

Popular posts from this blog

How many years has it been?!

Our Lovely Living Situation

My Life Update